Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Unpacking


I just want to point out that unpacking boxes is really lame. This is especially true when your movers pack food that they are not supposed to send overseas, and then you have to sort through the items that are still safe to eat and find a way to discard the rest, all the while feeling really guilty because you could probably feed a village with the expired Bisquick you're finding.

Overall, our belongings are in pretty good shape. There are a few things that have been damaged- our mattress, for example- but at least the dishes and glasses made it safely. Sadly, the items that were broken were mostly things that had some kind of intrinsic value. The beautiful photograph my sister framed for us for our wedding is bent, the glass shattered and all over other items. The hand-carved wooden manatee we got on our honeymoon in Belize is missing appendages. I don't know if they'll give us the "replacement value" of these items, which really bums me out. I don't care very much about generic stuff, but I do like to collect things that remind me of places I've been, and when those things are ruined it makes me sad.

In the time I've taken to type this entry (and I am fast), the sky has gone from blue and sunny, to cloudy. It's snowing and windy. The weather here is even more fickle than Maryland!

We have finished painting one room! Now we need to paint our bedroom. The paint was expensive, but we're hoping it will be worth it to feel comfortable in our home for a few years. (Just gone to blizzard-like conditions!) Personally, I'm getting a bit tired of feeling like "home" is just a transient location. I know that is part of life as a young adult, especially in the military, but it's nice to try to fool yourself into a sense of permanence.

Also, we realized that I may be able to sing in the Wooster Chorus Alumni concert this June. An extra week in the U.S. would allow me to travel to Ohio before Margaret's wedding. As I don't have a job yet, it seems reasonable to plan for these things that are important to me. Concert in Wooster, wedding in Chicago, and family week at the New Jersey shore. Then, bringing Maggie with me back to Germany. All good things. Josh will have to practice cooking a bit more before I go. :o)

Tell us how YOU are doing! We really love to hear from people!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky and Josh! It sounds like you are really settling in - I'm so glad that you have found friends already. That makes it all so much nicer! I loved what you said about having the time to really see and explore without having to rush all over trying not to miss anything. I'm sure you will make the most of your time there. Brian is over there right now on his class trip. He sent us a quick email and used the word incredible several times so I think he is really enjoying his time there. He'll come home on Saturday and I can't wait to see his pictures. I don't think he is going to go to Heidelburg though.

Keep painting and who knows, maybe Mr. Beebs and I will come over and see you guys sometime!

creta

Yining said...

The wooster chorus came out to CA on tour this year and i have to say, it wasn't the same without you =(, it was good to see people, but it just wasn't the same.